Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries - For Special Occasions!!



Opps!! I'm late in posting this recipe for a special occasion as valentine's day just went by...but I have a reason for being late. This special thought was not mine, this was a surprise for me on the V Day from my husband(who has very little interest in cooking). Yes the recipe is that simple and quick to make, though really special!! So I learned from him how to make these amazing chocolate covered Strawberries with the left over ingredients.

I had never tried these before as I don't like the sour taste of the strawberries and assumed that it would spoil the taste of the chocolate also. But trust me these tasted so good and the combination of sweet chocolate with sour strawberries were just awesome...I had them all by myself!!

Ingredients

Strawberries : 1 Pound
Milk Chocolate : 124gms [I used herseys]
Shortening/Butter : 2 Tbsp [Optional]
Shredded Coconut : 1/4 Cup
OR Coarsely crushed Almond : 1/4 Cup

Method

1. Wash and dry the strawberries. Drying is important else chocolate won't hold on the strawberries.

2. Melt the chocolate in double boiler along with the shortening[I didn't use the shortening]

This is how you create a double boiler:
Fill a saucepan with few inches of water and bring it to simmer over medium heat. Thereafter place a second container over the saucepan and add the chocolates.
Precaution: The water shouldn't touch the bottom of your upper container which has the chocolate.

3. Heat in medium flame until half of the chocolate is melted, then reduce the flame to low.
4. Stir the chocolate gently with a spoon to make a smooth paste.
5. Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the fruit into the chocolate, lift and twist slightly. Let excess chocolate fall back into the bowl.
6. Roll it over the shredded coconut or coarsely crushed Almonds and lay it neatly on waxed paper(I did it on aluminum foil). Repeat with the rest of the strawberries. I did half of them with coconut and half with almonds.

7. Set the strawberries aside until the chocolate sets(for about 30 minutes). If the weather is warm these has to go inside the refrigerator. These should be consumed in a day or two.



Notes: You can avoid the shortening if you do not want to add extra calories, but shortening gives a smooth texture.

Strawberry on Foodista

Sending this in for the Cooking with Fruits Event hosted by Taste Buds.


Sending this for Veggie/ Fruit A Month event hosted by Pari & Priya

13 comments:

Nithya said...

Looks really delicious and I'm sure it would be super yummy too..

And you would have surely enjoyed it more when it was made by your special person :)

Unknown said...

Looking so beautiful and Classy ... great idea !!

KrithisKitchen said...

Lovely.. Strawberries coupled with choc are always romantic... I believed you enjoyed your surprizes..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

Vimitha Durai said...

That is perfect for a romantic night...

Prema said...

Thanks for visiting my sapce dear and happy to follow ur recipes...

Keep rocking!

SouthIndianHome said...

The strawberry looks real yummy

Reshmi Mahesh said...

They look yummy....following your lovely space...

FunWidFud

Plateful said...

Wow, looks like you were pampered! Loved it, Ankita!

Reshmi said...

Hi.. first time here.. I'm loving those chocolate dipped strawberries.. following u!!

divya said...

Thanks for visiting my space dear and happy to follow ur recipes...
looks sooo delicious and awesome...

Kurinji said...

gr8 idea and yummmy.....Glad to follow u dear...

Kurinjikathambam
Event : HRH-Puffed Rice

Only Fish Recipes said...

lovely.....strawberries with chocolate is absolutely fav....do visit my space sometimes whenever you have time !

My Kitchen Antics said...

who can say no to that now...love the combo