Did it ever happen to you that you make up your mind to prepare something and realize after initiating the process that you don't have one of the main ingredients at home!! I came across such a situation last Saturday when I was craving for Chinese food and decided to make some chow mein. But alas, I had no stock of noodles at home and was too lazy to go out all the way to buy some. I was very disappointed and had almost decided to order some from outside when I noticed my most friendly and versatile food; bread!!! And an idea rang into my mind why not replace noodles with bread. I trusted my instinct and to be honest the end result made my day which proved the saying, a friend in need is a friend indeed!! :)
Cabbage : 1 1/2 Cup
Capsicum : 3/4 Cup
Carrot : 3/4 Cup
Onion : 1/2 Cup
Green Chillies : 2, slit
Garlic Paste : 1/2 Tsp [Optional]
Salt : To taste
Oil : 2 Tbsp
Soya Sauce : 1 1/2 Tbsp
Chilli Sauce : 2 Tsp
Tomato Sauce : 1 Tsp
Bread : 8 - 10 Pieces
1. Wash and cut cabbage, capsicum, carrot and onion length wise.
2. Cut the hard sides of the bread, roll them slightly using a rolling pin. Then cut the bread slices into thin strips.
3. Heat oil in a wok in high flame an add slit green chillies and garlic.
4. Then add onions and fry them until translucent.
5. Then add Carrot and after a min add cabbage and capsicum. Fry them in high for few minutes.
Note: I don't like completely cooked vegetables in the chowmein so I fry them only until half done. If you like the vegetables completely cooked, you can boil the vegetables slightly before frying them.
6. So once the veggies are done lower the flame a little add soya sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and the bread.
The measurement of sauces are as per my taste, so adjust the sauces as per your taste. I know some people don't like tomato sauce in chowmein!!
Sending this to Nivedita's and Pari's event "Only Original Recipes". Also sending one of my posts from last month for this event Eggless Date and Walnut Cake in which I used jaggery instead of sugar.
Also sending this to Srivalli's Kids Delight event, guest hosted by Priya and Fast Food NOT Fat Food hosted by Priya